GEVA Articles - Adults
Adult Division Tournament Play and Registration Procedures for the 2008 Season
Published on 03 September 2009
There are several changes this season to the way we have done things in the past. The tournament play has changed as well as the registration procedure.
2008 Season Adult Tournament Play
This season the first 5 weeks of play will be used as Seeding tournaments. This change is the effort of the Board of Directors to meet the concerns of the B divisions and to better rank the teams for play.
How Will This Work?
- All tournaments for the first five weeks of play will be run as B/BB tournaments.
- Teams are urged to enter at least two tournaments in this timeframe to provide sufficient information to allow seeding to happen.
- After every tournament GEVA will enter the Head-to-Head results of each match into the new seeding system. This system will use match play results rather than pool results which will provide a ‘strength of opponent factor’ into the seeding.
- At the end of November the pool of teams for Men and Women will be divided into B and BB divisions. The lower 40% of the seeded teams (at least 12 teams) will be placed in the B division and the upper 60% will be placed in the BB division.
- Starting December 1st tournaments will be run as B & BB with all previous rules of movement applied.
- Teams that register after Dec. 1st will be placed in the division consistent with their last season finish in relation to the current teams and their ranking.
2008 Season Adult Registration
GEVA will be enforcing the registration requirements for the 2008 season in similar manner to last year. In order to play in a GEVA sanctioned tournament players must be registered.
How Will Registration Work?
- Seeding Season:
- During the Seeding season, all teams are required to be registered to play. Registration will consist of a team registration and a minimum of four player individual registrations. See below for the registration procedures.
- The Tournament Director will review the registration forms and send the completed forms to the GEVA office after every tournament (GEVA will use these forms to register the teams).
- Teams are allowed to register players as 1-Day members or to borrow registered players during this time. This is to allow the ‘tryout of players’ for the team.
- At the end of November all teams must have a minimum of 6 registered players on their roster to continue playing in tournaments.
- Sanctioned Season:
- All teams must have a minimum of 6 registered players on their roster to play.
- Anyone wishing to play in a sanctioned regular season tournament must be a regularly registered member.
- In order to make this requirement work there needs to be a method of insuring that players can register and be able to provide proof at subsequent tournaments that they have registered. GEVA will accomplish this in the following manner:
This season GEVA is implementing a new online registration system. The following steps must be followed:
- Individual players must go to the GEVA web site and follow the links to the online registration page.
- Complete the registration procedure. Online payment is not available initially.
- Print out the Waiver and Consent form (backside of registration form).
- Sign the Waiver and Consent form. Submit at a tournament along with the proper fees as part of a team registration.
Note: there is a $2.00 registration fee discount if these online procedures are followed.
GEVA is mandating that all teams and adult players must register at a tournament. Tournament Directors will accept registration materials on the day of a tournament and issue a receipt (signing the second copy of the roster is a receipt). Players will be able to use copies of that receipt at subsequent tournaments as proof of registration. This onsite registration will work in the following manner:
- A team who wishes to register will submit the completed Team Registration form, 2 completed team roster forms and a minimum of six (four during the seeding tournaments) signed Waiver and Consent forms. A check to cover both team and player registrations will be submitted at the same time. The Tournament Director will check that the proper money is included and that all of the names appear on the roster. If correct, the Tournament Director will initial one copy of the roster on the next blank line and return it to the Team Representative. Copies of this roster will be used as entry forms into subsequent tournaments until the team is able to print their official GEVA roster from the web site.
- The team may register additional players at subsequent tournaments. After submittal of signed Waiver and Consent form(s) along with a copy of the team roster, the Tournament Director will add their name(s) to a copy (supplied by team) of the roster (either a printed roster or after the previously initialed line of an annotated roster supplied by the team representative) and initial the next blank line. Copies of this may then be used in subsequent tournaments until the GEVA office updates the official roster. If a team roster is not provided, then the player will need to re-register at a subsequent tournaments until such time that the team's updated roster is available. Tournament Directors will not allow write-ins on the team roster. It is the team's responsibility to bring a copy of their latest roster to the tournament. Tournament Directors will not supply rosters.
Teams may access their rosters the GEVA website and print them out to bring to the tournament. Teams must bring their latest roster (printed from the GEVA web site or annotated by a Tournament Director) to a tournament to insure that all players are on it. No write-in's on a roster are allowed during the sanctioned season.
During the sanctioned season the following registration verification procedures will be followed:
- Only GEVA issued roster/entry forms or the initial hand written and signed roster will be allowed as entry forms for tournaments. All players' names must appear on this roster.
- If a player from a companion club team wishes to play, a copy of the GEVA issued roster/entry form for that team will be attached to the entering team’s roster. Tournament Directors will have the right to ask that team members produce identification if they have any doubts of a player’s identity.
- If a player shows up at a tournament claiming that they registered the week before but their name does not appear on an annotated team roster, the procedure will be to require them to fill out a registration form and submit it along with a check. Mark the form ‘Second Submittal’. If it is truly the second submittal, then the check and form will be destroyed in the GEVA office. Team representatives are responsible for supplying updated rosters to the Tournament Director.
Because of past problems GEVA will be instituting spot checks at tournaments during the season. Board members will perform the spot checks and may ask players to provide picture ID (i.e. Driver’s license).